The construction of the new-build Riverside Community Centre provides a multi-purpose hub to the town Bovey Tracey located in Devon and a focal point for residents and visitors alike.
Built upon the site of an old public house, the semi-rural site now accommodates a number of key services within the town under one roof: the library, town council offices, public conveniences with the community and tourist information centre. In addition, it provides business incubation offices and a flexible space capable of being used for a variety of community uses during evenings and weekends.
The multi-purpose hall serves as a public library during the daytime and becomes a community hall in the evenings and weekends on removal of the moveable bookshelves. A partitioned space at the end of the hall creates a meeting room, which will be used by Bovey Tracey Town Council as well as local community groups.
As a community project, it was key to ensure the scheme suited all involved parties and we undertook a lighting impact assessment to examine the functional lighting and gauge what mitigating measures could be adopted to limit light spill and disruption to the surrounding environment. Compliance with Building Regulations and Part L was resolved through thermal modelling of the building using IES software. The project evolved and layout changes led to a redesign and remodelling the building to ensure that it could still meet the regulation requirements.
The result of 3 years work by the town council and design teams is a sustainable base for community activities which opened in October 2020.
Scope of services:
- External Lighting Impact Assessment
- IES Thermal Modelling
- BRUKL and Part L assessment
- Provision of EPC
- Full mechanical design services
- MVHR heat recovery ventilation combined with natural ventilation to offices and communal areas
- Above ground drainage
- Natural gas distribution and safety interlocks
- LTHW distribution serving radiator systems
- Full electrical design services
- Primary LV switchgear and metering
- Small power Services
- LED internal and external lighting
- Dali lighting control system
- Central battery emergency lighting system
- Door access and entry systems
- Addressable Fire Alarm System
- Induction hearing loop system
- Disabled WC System
- Cat6 data network